Brownies Hostel provides affordable lodging at the Eastern gateway to Glacier National Park
Brownies is a friendly, rustic hostel located just 8 miles from the Two Medicine entrance to Glacier National Park. We are located in a 1908 log structure that was built by the Great Northern Railroad as housing for workers who were constructing the historic Glacier Park Lodge. The building is long on character and short on soundproofing; light sleepers might prefer to bring earplugs.
Open early May through October 1, weather permitting.
We are Montana’s only Hostelling International location!
- Single, Double, or Queen beds
- Sheets, quilt, towels
- Shared bathrooms/showers
- Free Wifi
- Secure entrance
- Common living space, porches, and outdoor space
- Full kitchen and food storage areas
- Coffee, tea, and spices
- Laundromat next door
- Bakery, deli, café, gift shop and general store downstairs
- Package pickup for CDT hikers
- Bicycle storage
We are located just 5 blocks north of the East Glacier Amtrak station on US Hwy 49.
Already have a booking?
Brownies offers a variety of room types:
We have both men’s and women’s dorm rooms. Our women’s dorm sleeps 6, and the men’s sleeps 8 in twin bunk beds. Sheets, blankets, comforters, and towels will all be provided for you. The room also has storage lockers for your belongings; you can bring your own lock or borrow one from us with a deposit.
Due to the thin walls of our historic hostel, some guests may prefer to bring ear plugs. When you arrive, you’ll see that your bed has been made for you by the previous guest; when you check out, we ask that you bring us your used sheets, and we’ll give you clean sheets so you can make the bed for the next guest.
Thanks for paying it forward, and welcome to Brownies!
Our cozy private rooms have a queen bed with new mattress, a dresser and side table, lamp and fan. All linens will be provided. The rooms sleep 2 people.
Due to the thin walls of our historic 1908 building, some guests may prefer to bring ear plugs. You will have access to our men’s and women’s bathrooms, kitchen, and common living spaces.
Welcome to Brownies!
The family room is our largest, with two double beds, side tables, a dresser, fan, and plenty of space. All linens will be provided for you. This room sleeps four people comfortably; if you wish to add an extra person, we will provide linens and a sleeping pad for an extra charge.
Due to the thin walls of our historic 1908 hostel, some guests may prefer to bring ear plugs. You will have access to our men’s and women’s bathrooms, kitchen, and living spaces.
Welcome to Brownies!
Our quad room sleeps six people on four beds: two sets of bunks with a double mattress on bottom and single on top. All linens will be provided for you. The room has side tables, lamps, and a fan.
Due to the thin walls of our historic 1908 hostel, some guests may prefer to bring ear plugs. You will have access to the men’s and women’s bathrooms, the kitchen, and living areas.
Welcome to Brownies!
This cozy room has 2 single beds, side tables, a lamp, and fan, and includes all linens.
Due to the thin walls of our historic 1908 hostel, some guests may prefer to bring ear plugs. You will have access to our men’s and women’s bathrooms, kitchen, and common living spaces. Welcome to Brownies!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
about staying at Brownies and in East Glacier Park
What time is check-in/check-out?
Check-out is by 11 a.m. Check-in is officially between 3 pm and 9 pm, with a few exceptions:
* Guests arriving on the early-morning train can come to Brownies right away; we will be happy to hold your luggage until your room is ready.
* Guests leaving by the night train may check out by 11 a.m., and we’ll hold your luggage for the day. You’re also welcome to hang out in our common areas upstairs.
* Guests arriving after 9 p.m. should call us at 406.226.4426 on the day of arrival so we can make special arrangements to admit you to your room after hours. Thank you!
Do you have Wi-Fi?
Yes! We offer free Wi-Fi in common spaces, as well as a desktop computer for guest use. Wi-Fi speed won’t be as fast as you’re used to at home, but we think it’s pretty great for rural Montana! You’ll find the best reception in the common areas and kitchen, and downstairs in our store.
I’m not a member of Hostelling International. Can I stay with you?
Yes! But you will save $3 per room or dorm bed per night if you are a member. You can purchase a membership online at Hostelling International, or purchase one from us when you arrive.
Is there parking at the hostel?
Yes, plenty, and it’s free.
Where can I rent a bike?
Unfortunately, there are no bicycle or other equipment rentals in East Glacier. There are kayak/canoe rentals located at each of the major lakes in Glacier National Park.
What is your alcohol and drug policy?
Do you provide locks for the lockers in the dorms?
Yes. You can borrow a lock from us downstairs for a $5 deposit.
Do you accept large groups?
Each summer we are happy to host large groups, usually Scout troops on adventures. To make special arrangements for a large group, please email us at brownieshostel (@) gmail.com
What should I do during my visit?
There’s so much to do in our area, all located outdoors with the beautiful backdrop of the Rocky Mountains.
- Hiking and Sightseeing – We encourage you to check out Glacier National Park’s website for information before you arrive, including Going-to-the-Sun Road status, hiking trails, camping information, and more.
- Horseback Riding — Glacier Gateway Outfitters
- just 1/2 block north of Glacier Park Lodge
- Sun Tours –226-9220 / www.glaciersuntours.com
- Native American cultural tours
- Glacier Park Boat Company – www.glacierparkboats.com
- Boat rentals as well as guided shuttles across major park lakes
- Glacier Park Inc. —www.glacierparkinc.com
- Offers Red Bus narrated tours, Horse Concessions in the park, Golf in East Glacier
- Museum of the Plains Indian
- In Browning — 406-338-2230, open daily 9 to 4:30 pm
What restaurants are nearby?
My train leaves very late at night. Can I hang out at the hostel after I check out?
What is your cancellation policy?
Any reservation can be cancelled up until 23:59, Montana time, two days before your arrival for no charge. Note that reservations cancelled after this time will be charged an amount equal to the first night’s stay for each dorm bed or private room reserved.
How do I get to the hostel from the airport if I don’t have a car?
There is no public transportation to East Glacier from Kalispell or Great Falls. Amtrak comes to East Glacier from Whitefish, which is about 15 minutes from the Kalispell airport. Information about taxis and car rentals is below.
Dollar Rental Cars: 406.226.4432 (across the street at Sears Motel)
Hertz Rental Cars: 406.226.9227 (on Hwy 2 at the Glacier Park Trading Company)
East Glacier: 406.226.4452 (summer only)
Glacier Taxi: 406.250.3603
Kountry Taxi: 406.250.8015
Wild Horse Limousine: 406.756.2290
How do I get into Glacier National Park if I don’t have a car?
- Talk to other hostellers or leave a message on our Ride Board. You’re likely to find someone friendly who will offer you a ride.
- Glacier Park Lodge runs a pay shuttle service between approx. early June and mid September.
- Rent a car. See the locations listed above.
- Some people hitchhike. We cannot recommend that, and you do so at your own risk. Choose wisely and be careful!
- When you reach the St. Mary or West Glacier entrances to the park, there is a FREE hiker’s shuttle along the Going-to-the-Sun Road between early June and Labor Day. It runs every 15–30 minutes and stops at popular hiking trailheads. Make sure you are familiar with the schedule and the last pickup time of the day!
Should I bring linens?
Are there laundry facilities nearby?
Do you provide breakfast?
Can I leave my luggage at the hostel overnight?
Do you pick up guests at the train station?
We are not able to provide regular concierge service to and from the train station, but on occasion we can help those guests who need special assistance. Call us at 406.226.4426 or email us at brownieshostel (@) gmail.com.
Where is the nearest post office?
Do you have campsites?
When the hostel is completely full, including the dorms, we are happy to offer campsites for guests with their own camping gear. The cost is $12 per tent, 4 people maximum. You will have access to bathrooms. Showers are charged at $5 per person.
The campsites are located in our backyard on grass. Please note that in the early morning several staff members will be walking their dogs nearby.
Where are you located?
If you’re driving in from Hwy 2:
Turn north onto Hwy 49, go under the rail bridge, and come up about 1/4 mile. Brownies is the large brown building on your right, across the street from the Sears Motel. Check-in is in our bakery at the front of the building, but the main entrance to the hostel is located around the very back of the building, up the stairs.
For those coming from the train station:
Exit the train station facing the Glacier Park Lodge, and turn right onto Hwy 49. Walk 1/4 mile and find Brownies on your right.
What is your pet policy?
Occasionally we permit a pet to stay for an additional nightly fee of $10. Please contact us directly at brownieshostel (@) gmail (dot) com to make a request for your pet to stay.
Where can I find a bigger selection of groceries?